Tuesday 29 May 2012


Evaluation for 'Competition Briefs & Recognition'

I think that I have effectively tried to put myself out there in terms of competitions and contacting people to submit for existing publications. At the start of the year I was really down about the state of my CV and professional experience compared to others. Throughout my FMP I have been in contact with people I admire and they in turn have offered me opportunities to contribute to their projects. One major thing that has come out of this that I am most pleased with is contacting Article magazine who let me create artwork to accompany an article that was in the April 'Broken' issue.

Another major thing that has come out of trying to promote myself is my new relationship with Marcroy, the founder of People of Print. I am now constantly in contact with him and have had opportunities to write and post on their blog.

One of the regrets I have this module is not contacting people sooner. Even in second year I put off sending my work to people, this was mainly because I didn't think that my work reflected me so it couldn't actually be helped. I've been stuck thinking that as soon as I have been in touch with a studio or person I admire that I could ruin in within an instant – and so I have previously chosen not to bother due to thinking i'd be burning bridges. I've already contacted VICE magazine and Tissue magazine, and so I just need to continue as I am doing now and build up more relationships. 

No comments:

Post a Comment