Tuesday 29 May 2012


Evaluation for 'Smells Like Zine Spirit'


Throughout this module you will be excited, confused, upset, angry, elated and probably on the verge of a nervous breakdown. How are you going to combat this? All of your practices are going to merge into one and as you begin to be inspired by things around you, you will react by taking the best aspects of your surroundings by trying and testing them within your own design practice, so emerse yourself into zine culture and create an archive of non related zines to show the non design side of yourself still in keeping with your umbrella statement of human behaviour and language.

My value is not solely because of my Design background, and like aforementioned my personality, to me, is equally as important as my skill set. I wanted to showcase my talent and myself through one of my briefs and so I came up with 'Smells Like Zine Spirit' which allowed me to remember my interests and pin point what has amused, irritated or excited me throughout my FMP. I got heavily into zine culture this year and spent a while researching it with the initial intent to have my DC book showcase that interest.

Most of my briefs are information heavy and rely on serious conceptual messages and I wanted a brief that was different, lighthearted and accessible to people who weren't interested in the same things that I was. This brief has allowed me to look into different design trends that aren't present in my others, I wanted to experiment and use my found design context as a template for creating a visually different set of zines. Zines that didn't look like they belonged together, but catalogued what I was looking at in terms of blogs, designers and studios.

Two of my zines printed weirdly because I don't think I paginated them properly, these are 'YEAH! SCIENCE!' and so to appear in my portfolio I need to get these re printed. The series I produced on KU Ibiza in the eighties turned out to be a success as I got in contact with the people who ran it and they want me to send them a copy as they are looking to source a designer to publish a photo book for them. The Heathers zine, although simple, caught the attention of the creative designer of VICE who prompted me to send some work to the UK designers for possible submissions.

My aim was to make people laugh and want a copy of each of my zines, and through crits and feedback I feel like I have achieved my objective. There isn't much to evaluate with this brief because there isn't a right or wrong answer, I wanted to do something and I did it, the development is personal and relative to my interests and mood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment